Regional NSA Group Hits Move to Cut IUS Relations

A vehement protest against the recent resolution by the National Student Association's staff committee to sever relations with the International Union of Students was registered last night by Lawrence M. Jaffa 2D, chairman of the NSA's Northern New England Regional Division, and a member of the four-man board appointed in December to consider NSA-IUS affiliation.

The staff committee's resolution came early this month, following the resignation of two American students on the IUS executive committee at Prague, who stated that suppression of non-Communist student activity by the newly established Czech regime made further cooperation imposible.

Jaffa's statement agreed with the staff committee's censure of the IUS for not protesting the suppression of student demonstrations in Prague at the time of the Communist coup, but questioned the right of the group to make such a move.

Commenting on reasons for his protest, Jaffa pointed out that when affiliation with IUS was first considered by the NSA last September, "it was known that the IUS leadership was, at least, pro-Soviet and, probably, Communist-dominated.

"The recent tragic events in Czechoslovakia have only proved definitely what we assumed then. Nevertheless, we still feel that if representative American students are to meet with students of other nations, we must continue to seek whatever opportunity the IUS affords to spread understanding and cooperation in the educational world."