Grad Forum Hears Elliott, Kluckhohn on 'Fact, Value'

William Yandell Elliott, Leroy B. Williams Professor of Government, and Clyde M. Kluckhohn, professor of Anthropology, found themselves "in two-thirds agreement" last night in a Graduate Forum on "Fact and Value in the Social Sciences," but parted company on whether the scientific method was valid in searching for fundamental value.

Speaking in New Lecture Hall, Professor Kluckhohn urged the use of the fact-finding approach as applied in anthropology in determining "universal" values, but pointed out that values of taste were outside the scope of this method.

Professor Elliott maintained that at least one value, "the human soul," could not be discovered empirically, but only through "insight" and "religious experience."

He warned against "allegedly scientific work" which "palms off as science discussion of value."

Urges Stated Premises

Pointing to differences in value premises as a reason for disagreement between Russian and American social scientists, Professor Kluckhohn stated that "every social scientist has an obligation to state his value premises" so that those who deny the premises can discard the conclusions.

Russians and Americans are in agreement on few of these value premises. Professor Kluckhohn said, and he urged that we turn to the physical sciences and see what we can learn about value in order to promote "a larger synthesis."

"Speaking as an anthropologist," Professor Kluckhohn declared that "our values can not be completely right, nor the Russians' completely wrong."