Varsity Tennis Team Defeats Big Green, 5-4

By Douglas M. Fouquet

Crimson netmen returned from the North hills last night with the win Coach Jack Barnaby had promised. His Varsity squad had turned back Dartmouth at Hanover by a 5 to 4 score.

Sweeping five out of six singles encounters, Barnaby's nimble performers wasted no time in clinching the match, their seventh of the season.

Captain Ted Backe opened the afternoon by trouncing the Indian's Paul Campbell in straight 6-4, 6-4 sets, followed by four more quick wins by Steve Pratt, Vince Brandt, Jay Ager, and Ted Bullard. It was a different story in the doubles play where the Green swept all three sets.

In a second match with the Indians, the Crimson Freshmen administered another setback to the Indians, 6 to 3. Meanwhile, the Jayvees made it a clean sweep at Wellesley with a 4 to 1 victory over Babson Institute.

Face M.I.T. Today

Little respite from the Dartmouth trip will be offered the Varsity netmen, who plunge into matches with M.I.T. today and Columbia tomorrow on the home courts at Soldiers Field.

Seeking vengeance for last year's 5 to 4 setback at the hands of the Engineers, Coach Jack Barnaby will call upon the same men who faced the Indians yesterday. In what will probably be the hottest match of the afternoon, Captain Ted Backe will run up against M.I.T. standout Alex Kaufman.