Freshmen Rip Tufts Quintet In 58-33 Tilt

Coach Lloyd Harpor's freshman basketball team, because it was faster, scrappier, better under the boards, and generally more alert, beat Tufts 58-33 last night in the Indoor Ahtletic Building.

Forward Jerry Murphy and guard Jim Downey ranked highest in the scoring department with 16 and 14 points respectively. Though he scored but eight points, Captain Bill Hickey was the key main in the victory. His cool, quick floor game set up most of the scoring opportunities.

Fast Start

The Crimson got off to a fast start in the first quarter and hold a 13-2 lead before six minutes of the game had elapsed. During the second period Tufts rallied weakly and by halftime it had whittled, the Harvard lead down to seven points.

Tufts was still making a contest of it up until the midpoint of the third quarter but then the Crimson went on a scoring spree from which Tufts never recovered.

The shooting of Alex Bennet, who scored 10 points even though he played scarcely half the game, was the only source of consolation to Tufts Coach Robert Gurney.