Varsity Wrestlers Flatten Columbia, 24-10; Swimmers Take All Firsts, Sink Lions, 61-14

Drohan, Norris, Burke Excel

Hal Ulen's swimmers carried off nine firsts in nine events Saturday as they walloped Columbia, 61 to 14, for their fourth straight victory. The Lions, even in their own multi-angular pool, could do no better than three second places as they went down for the fourth time.

Tom Drohan, in his last appearance in Harvard athletics, took a handy first place in the dive. Amassing 91 points in his New York showing, Drohan was followed by teammate Gordon Weir who was making his first start.

Ted Norris turned in the outstanding performance of the day by clinching the 440-yd freestyle in 5:15. Bob Burke also distinguished himself by taking two firsts--the 100 and 220-yd freestyles.

Relays

Tom Woods, Chuck Hoelzer, and Bill MacVicar teamed up to win the 300-yd medley relay, while Bob Tolf, Bob Lange, Mort Hull, and Shep Brown captured the 400-yd relay.

One-two punch in the 50-yd freestyle was supplied by Brown and Jerry Gorman, in that order. Woods, taking first in the 150-yd backstroke, left two Columbia men to fight it out in a dead heat for second place.

Breaststroke

Followed closely by Hoolzer, Larry Ward won a pretty 200-yd breaststroke in 2:34.3. Pete Bierre and Art Sicular added depth to the Crimson lineup, taking thirds in the 440 and 100-yd freestyles respectively.

Although Columbia managed to better by one point its last year's 63 to 12 defeat at the hands of almost the same Crimson team, Saturday's performance bolstered pre-season dope that placed Ulen's team with the best in the East this winter.