HLU Reverses Position, Now Favors Draft

Levine, Heer Chosen As New Officers

By a vote of 25 to 8, the membership of the Harvard Liberal Union last night reversed the position which it took against the draft last March and defeated a motion favoring repeal of the present Selective Service Act.

Also at the meeting, Herbert F. Levine '50 of Lowell House and Brooklyn was elected President of the HLU for the spring term, succeeding Roy F. Gootenberg '49.

The adopted resolution on the draft read, "Be it resolved that the HLU opposes the repeal of the Selective Service Act at the present time and reaffirms its opposition to Universal Military Training."

Before the draft debate, the meeting passed a resolution in favor of the Plan E system of city government for Boston and urged its members to work with the Plan E for Boston Committee in the anticipated February petition contest.

Other Officers Named

With a membership now totaling 122 and $400 in the treasury, the HLU voted in a full new slate of officers. Besides Levine, David M. Heer '50 was elected vice-president; John T. Bennett '50, secretary; and Donald M. Gish '50, treasurer.

Richard K. Berg '51 was chosen as Political Action Director; John S. Spier '50, as Harvard Affairs Director; and Gootenberg as Public Relations Director.