Eliot Wins Football Title, Beats Berkeley 7-0; Four More Crimson Teams Triumph

Wolf, Goldstein Score For Varsity as Cagy Playing Earns Victory

Eliot House's undefeated football team ran into some unexpectedly tough opposition from Yale's Berkeley College on Walter Camp Field yesterday but nevertheless fashioned a 7 to 0 win. Prior to the game, Yale's champion intramural team had also been undefeated.

Altogether the visiting Harvard House teams and Yale broke even in their annual football derby, each side winning four games.

Though Eliot seemed to be the stronger team, it took a break to set up the only touchdown. The Berkeley safety man took a second quarter Harvard kick on his own two yard line, was hit hard on the six, fumbled and Eliot recovered.

Two plays later, fullback Rick Hudner took a pitchout from quarterback Cabot and swept wide to score standing up. Jim Lowell kicked the point despite first penalized five yards for offside.

Lowell 15Pierson 0

The Bellboy defense engineered an expected victory over winless Pierson by demolishing the Eli attack, and by scoring eight of the 15 points. End Bob Esch broke through to block a punt on the Pierson 25 yard line, the ball bouncing into the Pierson end zone for a safety. In the third quarter guard Tony Ripley picked up a kick blocked by tackle Al Sweetser and scored from the Pierson 15. The Bellboy backfield scored when Brooks Wilder galloped 55 yards off tackle for a touchdown on the third play of the game.

Leverett 7  Timothy Dwight 6

A bad case of fumblitis by the Bunnies stalled their first half attack, but Leverett struck with a polished series of plays in the third period with a pair of Fabian Bradbury to Jim Wykoff passes which moved the ball to Timothy Dwight's two yard line. Dwight packed its defense in the center, so Bradbury cut around right end to score. Wykoff's conversion kept the Bunnies in the lead when Timothy Dwight bulled over for a touchdown a few plays later.

Kirkland 6  Calhoun 0

Kirkland squeaked past Calhoun in the closing seconds of the game when halfback Frank Nolan snatched an end zone pass away from two defending Elis to register the only score. The Deacons had threatened several times before, but frequent interceptions had kept the sluggish Calhoun team in the game. Nolan was Kirkland's big noise all afternoon, running, passing, receiving, and backing up the line on defense.

Dudley 6  Trumbull 13

Dudley checked the Trumbull offense for the first period but crumbled just before the half when a series of alternating line slashes and long passes by the Bulls broke the Commuter defense to score.

Trumbull ran off the same pattern again in the fourth quarter to wrap up the game for the Elis. Dudley's Dave Gilbert set up the Commuter score with a 40 yard end run, then heaved a 30 yard pass to Bill Monteith, who went over standing up.

Adams 6  Saybrook 14

Saybrook bowled over Adams in the final contest of the afternoon yesterday, scoring once in each half. The Gold Coasters' one score came on a long march in the second period, with Rogor Davis and Walt Lubkeman doing most of the running. John Webb scored on an end sweep from four yards out.

Winthrop 0  Davenport 12

Davenport's two platoon system and crashing line blanked Winthrop 12 to 0 today. The Davenport squad mixed T plays and a fast single-wing attack to beat the Puritans. The first score came on a pass and lateral in the first period; Yale failed to convert. The Puritans replied with a flock of passes, but the Davenport line broke up the attack, and intercepted a Puritan throw late in the second quarter to set up its second score.

Dunster 0  Branford 33

Branford College scored in every period this afternoon to swamp Dunster's winless eleven, 33 to 0. Running out of a peculiar X-Y formation with two backs facing left, Branford mixed up end runs and passes in smashing the undermanned Dunster squad.

Lowell 36  Timothy Dwight 24

(Touch Football Championship)

Lowell's touch football team scored an upset 36 to 24 win over Timothy Dwight College, but was forced into an overtime to do it. Pete Putnam and Chris May scored two touchdowns apiece for the Bellboys, and it was May's first score that tied the contest up in the dying minutes to force an overtime.