Charity Drive Stresses Help For Students

Harvard's Combined Charities Drive will spurn the large national charities this year, and concentrate instead on student-aid organizations, publicity chairman Marvin S. Eiger '51 announced yesterday.

The drive will be conducted Monday through Friday of next week.

Pledge cards, with which students may allocate percentages of their donations to seven specific charities, will be used again this year. Although national organizations are not stressed, the donor may write in any charity of his own choosing. While the Student Council is supposed to receive 20 per cent of all allocated money for its own use, the student is allowed to request that none of his donation go to the Council.

The seven organizations that the Combined Charities Committee consider solely dependent upon student support are: the World Student Service Fund, providing support for members of European universities, the National Scholastic Service and Fund for Negro Students, the American Field Service International Scholarships, the Salzburg Seminar, PBH, and the Student Council.