WHRB Launches Series Replacing Drama Workshop

Inaugurating new studio "B" last night, the Harvard Radio Network presented the first production of its drama department, which has taken the place of the dissolved Radio Workshop. After tonight, drama shows will be presented every other Tuesday night.

In a joint statement, issued before the broadcast, Bradford S. Doane '50, Network president, and Robert C. Seaver '50, former president of the Workshop, announced that the Workshop had relinquished its functions to WHRB earlier this term. The Network will carry on the purposes of the Workshop, which was organized in 1945 to produce experimental drama.

Ask Dissolution

The Network proposed that the Workshop dissolve in favor of WHRB early in the fall, Doane said. Since the organization of the experimental group, which replaced the PBH Radio Council, it had used the stations facilities, and many of its members had also been members of the Network. Partly because of the awkward situation, Doane stated, few programs were presented last year.

Seaver will continue as director of the new dramatic series, according to present plans, Doane stated. Last night's production, an adaptation of Cyrano de Bergerac, the type of feature for which the studio was originally intended when construction began, he added.