Yardling Hockey Team Will Vie With Melrose in Opener

An untested freshman hockey team will play the curtain raiser of a 17-game season today when it faces Melrose High in the Boston Arena. From all appearances, Coach Stan Priddy seems to have a well-balanced group with plenty of depth at his disposal this winter.

The early season turnont of approximately 60 has gradually been pared down so that less than 30 players now comprises the entire squad. Competition has been so close, however, that it is difficult to point out a set starting line-up at this stage of the season.

Corning at Goal

Nate Corning will probably be given the opening assignment in the nets, but Andy Casner and Paul Broder have given him stiff competition so far.

Coach Priddy has alternated two defensive and two offensive lines to date. George Chase and Dan Simonds make up one defensive out fit and Dick O'Brien and Bob Graham the other. On the forward wall, Walt Greeley at center, flanked by Amory Hubbard at left wing and Norman Grant at the other outside post, appears a likely starter. The second offensive unit will be, from left to right, John Dunphy, "Dove" Harvey, and Fran Hardy.

The freshmen routed Lexington High in an exhibition contest yesterday afternoon.