Flanders to Lecture Tonight On 'The American Century'

Republican Senator Will Speak On 'Internal Strength' in 1st Of Three-Talk Annual Series

Senator Ralph E. Flanders will deliver the first Godkin Lecture of the year at 8 p.m. tonight in New Lecture Hall. The Vermont Republican will give the second and third talks of the annual series tomorrow and Thursday nights at the same time and place.

Flanders will open discussion of "The American Century" with "International Strength" as his topic. Tomorrow night he will speak on "External Policy" and Thursday on "Pax Americana."

The Godkin Lecture Foundation was established in 1903 in memory of Edwin L. Godkin, editor of the New York Evening Post and of The Nation, and noted post-Civil War liberal.

The Foundation's purpose is to offer lectures "upon the essentials of free government and the duties of the citizen. . ."

Freshman in Senate

Flanders was elected to his first Senate term in 1946. He was president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston from 1944 to 1946. Before that he was chairman of the board of Jones & Lamson Company, held several positions in government agencies, and was chairman of the Research Committee and trustee of the Committee for Economic Development.

In the Senate, he is a member of the Banking and Currency, Post Office, and Civil Service Committees.

Among previous Godkin Lectures have been Harold E. Stassen, ex-Governor of Minnesota and president of the University of Pennsylvania; Robert Moses, Commissioner of Parks of New York City; Professor Charles E. Merriam of the University of Chicago; and Australian economist D. B. Copeland.