Ivy Plans New Documentary, Night Photography, Sound

Ivy Films is planning a new documentary movie on the experiences of truck drivers, Ivy president Lauriston Ward, Jr., '50, announced last night.

Also under consideration is an instructive film for the Social Relations Department's new psychology clinic, he said.

Night photography, new to Ivy photographers, will comprise 50 percent of the trucking film, according to S. George Schiffer '50, Ivy's publicity director. Although the final shooting will take place within 15 miles of Boston, Ivy directors will first accompany truckers on a week-long series of rides to Eastern cities, including New York, Portland, Maine, and Rochester, New York. The plans, said Schiffer, are still in preliminary stages, but the club has already decided to use full sound, including a musical background. Ivy still owns no sound equipment, however.

New Club Room

Two borrowed motion picture cameras, a projector, and lights are the extent of the present operating machinery, according to Ward. He added that a new club room in the basement of Leverett House has replaced makeshift meetings in his Lowell House room. The club is redecorating its new headquarters with an original mural by David E. Vanderburgh '50. To complete the room, Ivy is planning a new film library.

A major Boston theater will screen "A Touch of the Times," Ivy's first production, according to Schiffer. New York's Olio Video Productions is distributing "Touch" for the clubs. As yet no proceeds have come in, but Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles are going to screen the fiilm, he added.