Class of 1952 Packs Memorial Hall For Boisterous Smoke Celebration

Refreshment Counters Mobbed; Pat Rainey, Ed Hall, Dunster Dunces, Eric Victor Entertain

For two hours last night some 700 freshmen decorously watched 11 assorted acts move across the Sanders Theater stage in the entertainment half of the Freshman Smoker. The minute the last performer--singer Pat Rainey--finished her routine, the 700 poured into Memorial Hall and proceeded to create the riot scene they had heard from upperclassmen was characteristic of Freshman Smokers.

They mobbed the refreshment counters, chucked ice cream bricks and pretzels through the air, and clambered all over the serving tables. The 30 cases of soda pop, 60 gallons of orange juice, 30 gallons of ice cream, and 15 cartons of pretzels were gone within an hour.

Few Linger

When the Freshman Smoker Committee's feature attraction, Clarinetist Ed Hall, arrived at 12:35 a.m., only a hundred dallying beer drinkers were still around to hear him. Beer was the only article in the beverage department that held out for more than an hour.

Torch singer Pat Rainey made the biggest impression on the assembled Yardlings. Her renditions of "Ay, Ay, Ay, I'll Love You Till I Die," "Cuanta La Gusta," "I Love You Yes I Do," and three other songs had her audience cheering and shouting.

Others in Cast

Other performers during the evening included: Eric Victor, a dancer from the cast of "Inside U.S.A.," the Dunster Dunces and the Krockodiloes, both collegiate singing outfits; Ellis Traub '52, who played a musical saw; Hugh Shepley '51, a juggler; the Four Flats, a freshman barbershop quarter; and Marie McDonnell, New England Tributary Theater singer.

The Crimson Stompers, a dixieland band, provided music throughout the entire night.