Mason Foresees No Need for ERP After 1952, Cites Gains

The Marshall Plan will have outlived its usefulness by 1952 and should be discontinued at that time, Edward S. Mason, professor of Economics and dean of the Graduate School of Public Administration, declared last night.

Mason, speaking in a Lowell Institute broadcast over WEEI, pointed out that European nations already have stopped asking for aid beyond the limit of the plan and cited the immense progress ERP has made.

In order to hasten the success of the program, Mason demanded that the United States force the Marshall Plan nations to "put their houses in order." He declared the nations receiving aid must strengthen their internal finances and learn to cooperate. He also asked the United States to reorganize European trade.

Lincoln Gordon, associate professor of Business Administration, speaking on the program with Mason, emphasized the burden ERP places on the taxpayer and declared that the Marshall Plan gives little stimulus to inflation in this country. In fact, prices began to decline in August just when ERP spending was at its peak, Gordon added.