Record Time Helps Eli Lead In EISL Meet; Varsity Lags

Paul Girdes of Yale last night tied the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League 220-yard freestyle record set by Harvard's Bill Kendall in 1938, as Al Ratklewich gave the Elis another first place in the 150-yard backstroke to help the Blue team surge to a 17-point lead after the second day of EISL, competition at Princeton.

The best the Crimson could do all day was to pick up fifth place in the 400-yard freestyle relay with a team composed of Norm Watkins, Shop Brown, Bob Berke, and Joe Fox. Rurgers and Duke placed first and second in the event.

22 Points Behind

Yale leads the pack with a score of 28, while Rutgers is in second with 11 points. The Crimson added only one point to Thursday's five-point total.

Bob Nugont, Rutgers sophomore, cracked the EISL, 50-yard freestyle record in 28.1 seconds, after tying it in the afternoon semi-finals. Girdes, who captured the furlong freestyle for the third straight year, was clocked at 2:11.2 to He an 11-year-old EISL mark.

Joe Verdeur of Lasalle triumphed easily in the 200-yard breaststroke for the third time running, registering a time of 2:16.4.

The meter dive, the 440-yard freestyle, and the 300-yard medley relay events remain on today's schedule.

Win Briggs and Gordon Weir are entered in the diving contest, but the relay team may have either Tom Woods or Joe Steinhart, either Chuck Bocizer or Larry Ward, and either Bob MacVicar or Joe Fox. Captain Jerry Goodman and 1500-meter champion Ted Norris will compete in the quarter-mile grind.