Tuition Rise

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Tuition is going up, it now seems certain. The Administration has made its decision and there is little chance of its being reversed. Any complaint now would be only a futile gripe.

However, the possibility for an informed evaluation of this University action by students did exist. The Harvard Student Council and the Graduate Student Council has every reason, as early as last fall, to expect the tuition rise. At any time during the year they could have hired a Certified Public Accountant to analyze for them the published financial records of the University. Falling such expert interpretation, students are in no position to arrive at an opinion in the matter; with it, and with the discussion of future prospects which Provost Buck gave the student councils, they could have done more than shrug at the inevitable. Perhaps they would have decided the increase in tuition was in the students interest, but at any rate they would have supplemented the Administration position with a statement of the student position on this question which directly affects all students. Chandler Davis 3G