New Lecture Hall Filled for Forum On Basic Values

New Lecture Hall was filled again last night as the Harvard Law School Forum presented the second symposium of its five day series. Members of the four man panel were Henry Aiken, Associate Professor of Philosophy, Wassily Leontief, Professor of Economics, Pitirim Sorokiu, Professor of Sociology, and Professor George De Santillana of MIT.

Because of the extremely large crowds the Thursday night forum will be hold in sanders Theater. On Wednesday night, however, the discussion of the Physical Sciences will take place as scheduled in Langdell Courtroom.

Last night's forum, which was to deal with the Social Sciences, turned into an argument weighing the relative values of scientific liberalism against Marxism.

Aiken, prefacing his talk with the observation that Marx was "the most unpopular social scientist," said that his "liberalism" was at present dying of its own complacency and smugness. Common understanding does not lead to common appreciation, he stated.

Aiken concluded that "it our society continues to spread enlightment it will enable us to get out of this power mess. It therefore behooves us to acquire power to make our ideals live."