Northeastern Upsets Varsity Six, 5-4

Crimson Is Sluggish, Fails to Overcome Margin of Huskics

By Douglas M. Fouquet

Harvard's slow-starting hockey team turned in another slow-starting performance at the Arena last night, but when the rally finally came it was too weak and too late to stop a spirited Northeastern sextet from gaining a 5 to 4 upset.

Not only was Harvard's early passing and defense work poor, but to add to the Crimson's misery, Northeastern goalie Bob Howell and forwards Jim Bell and Jack Heavey were at their best. Howell made 36 saves and was especially in yielding in the third period. Bell, New England League high-scorer, tallied twice and heavey picked up a hat trick with three goals.

Harvard Takes Lead

Harvard actually had a 2 to 0 lead in the first period before Northeastern scored four straight goals to take command of the game. After seven minutes of spiritless play, the Crimson opened the scoring when Myles Huntington skated down the left side and scored on a pipe shot.

Also in the opening period, Captain Dave Key scored on a pass play, but two Huskie attacks beat goalie Phil Clark and tied the score.

Notheastern took complete charge of the second period, but the Crimson was faster and better organized in the final stanza. At 9:34 Dave Abbot took a pass from Tom Moseley, beating Howell from six feet out, but that was the only time the varsity could score.

In the last 35 seconds, Coach John Chase pulled out Clark, inserting six for wards, but Law Preston's penalty for holding at 19:34 spoiled whatever hopes the varsity had cherished of tying the score.

Penalties were so heavy in the middle of the second period that at one time four men--two on each team--were packing the penalty box. . . . A skating Northeastern majorette entertained between periods. . . . In the second game of the doubleheader BC trimmed BU, 6 to 2.

The summaries:

Scoring: First period--Huntington (Moseley, Abbot) 7:45; D, Key (Garrity, Preston) 11:59; J. Bell (Reid) 12:24; Heavey (Rando) 15:19. Second period--Heavey (Barry) 3:45; J. Bell (Reid) 5:40; Heavey, 10:40; Minot (Kittredge) 11:00. Third period--Abbot (Huntington, Moseley) 9:34. Northeastern  2  3  0--5 Harvard  2  1  1--4