Yale Probes Undergraduate Alcoholism in National Poll

Tired of its international notoriety for almost constant inebriation, Yale University yesterday initiated a scientifically distilled poll on student drinking habits in 80 American colleges.

The alcohol studies division of the Yale University laboratories of applied science--not officially connected with Alcoholics Anonymous--distributed to undergraduates some 5000 questionnaires containing 100 questions.

Professor Selden D. Bacon and Robert Straus, research assistant, heads of the project, said they want to get right to the bottom of the problem--to find out when students began to drink, how much they drink, and the reasons why they drink.

"There are no facts available on the drinking habits and attitudes of our college population," Professor Bacon said. "Instead, there is a large mass of subjective opinion and misinformation on the subject."

The researchers want general background information and details about the student's college life. Questions will deal with the student's "drinking background" and what his parents think about fraternity beer parties and house parties where alcohol flows freely. Abstainers will be grilled to find out why they turn the stuff down.