College Plans No Stand on Anti-Red Bill

Council, HLU to Oppose H442 At Hearing Today; Shapley Foe to Present Amendment

The University has not taken an official position on the Sullivan Bill and will send no representative to testify at the hearing on the proposed act which begins at 10 a.m. today in the Gardiner Auditorium of the State House.

Henry L. Shattuck '01, a member of the Corporation, will testify against the bill, but he will do so as a private citizen.

In its present form the bill, H 442, would deprive of tax exemption any private school or college in Massachusetts that employe a faculty member who advocates the overthrow of the government by force or violence.

Council Testimony

Frederic D. Houghteling '50 will testify against H 442 on behalf of the Student Council, which drew up a resolution opposing the bill at its regular meeting a week ago.

The Liberal Union, also an opponent of the Sullivan Bill, will make its opinion known through a representative of the Boston University chapter of the Students for Democratic Action.

Thomas A. Dorgan, clerk of Suffolk Superior Court, who earlier in the week challenged Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy, on the latter's right to teach at Harvard, said last night that he will appear at the meeting.

"I'm going to suggest an amendment that will electrify Massachusetts," Dorgan said. "Mon like Shapley and others at Harvard are not living up to their obligations in maintaining Americanism."