Spring Grid Practice Starts March 14, Runs for 6 Weeks

A week from Monday will be the first day of official football activity in 1949. Then, and for the following six weeks, Art Valpey will conduct spring practice before returning to his movie projector until September 1.

Valpey will set his practice pattern tomorrow night at the Dillon Field House when he holds his first meeting with team candidates. What he's after this spring is new material men from freshman and jayvee squads, and every other man who wants to play football.

With a month and a half to work unencumbered by most lettermen, Valpey thinks he can find some new talent. He hopes also to get a big turnout from Home football ranks.

Art is Coach Hunting

Art isn't here today, but he'll be back tomorrow for the meeting. His absence is explained by Davey Nelson's departure from the coaching staff, and as Mrs. Valpey put it last night, "He's got his fingers crossed and he's hoping." With luck, Art thinks he can come back to Cambridge with a new backfield coach.

The September 1 opening date for fall practice is the earliest in history. Even with this date, Valpey will have only three weeks before the squad flies to Pale Alto for the Stanford game. According to manager Frank Jones, the team will arrive on the coast at least three days before the contest.