Home Debut Sees Varsity Tennis Team Take BU, 9-0

By Douglas M. Fouquet

The dozen or more onlookers who watched the tennis team in its home opener yesterday were treated to quite a show as Coach Jack Barnaby's players drubbled Boston University, 9 to 0, and in the process allowed the Terriers only 27 games out of the 136 played.

Every set went to the varsity, and Coach Barnaby was even able to test his doubles second-stringers without any ill-effects. About all BU got out of the afternoon were the oranges, gum, and sugar tablets provided by the Harvard managers after each match was over.

Experience gave the Crimson its margin of superiority. The varsity has had the benefit of fall and spring workouts, as well as a vacation trip to the south. On the other hand, BU, never a tennis power, has found time for but a few scattered workouts this spring and has met no other intercollegiate competition.

Ager Sneider's Opponent

In the actual play, Bud Ager, Captain Ted Bullard, Charlie Ames, Hilliard Hughes, Jack Frey, and Jay Robb all whipped their Terrier opponents in straight sets. Number one man Ager was most impressive as he trimmed Jack Conant, BU's best, in two six-love sets.

The first doubles team of Ager and Bullard rested while Ames and Hughes, Robb and Dave Key, and Mitch Reese and Bob Bramhall performed for the varsity.

The summaries:

Singles--Ager (H) defeated Conant (BU), 6-0, 6-0; Bullard (H) defeated Dulba (BU), 6-0, 6-1; Ames (H) defeated Dutka (BU), 6-1, 6-3; Hughes (H) defeated Barry (BU), 6-0, 6-1; Frey (H) defeated Caldwell (BU), 6-0, 6-1; Robb (H) defeated Silin (BU), 6-1, 6-2.

Doubles--Ames and Hughes (H) defeated Conant and Watson (BU), 6-4, 7-5; Robb and Key (H) defeated Caldwell and Barry (BU), 6-1, 6-4; Reese and Bramhall (H) defeated Dutka and Frank (BU), 6-1, 6-2.