Stiff Competition Produces 75% Sophomore 150 Crew

A whole year of competition for places in the first varsity 150 shell came to an end this week when light-weight coach Bert Haines announced his boatings for the first race of the season tomorrow against MIT.

Six of the eight first boat orasmen are Sophomores, but these six have all won their places by beating out returning lettermen. The crew should be a good one.

Reading from stern back, the first 150-lb. boat is composed of stroke Jack Smith, a veteran oarsman, Ted Barrett, Sutton Potter, Captain Dave Clark, Dick Grosvenor, John Bordman, Bob Menslage, and Sam Allen. In the cox's seat will be Charlie Osborne, who shouted at most of these rowers last year in the freshman 150 boat.

Already Fast

The crew is up to racing stroke, but Coach Haines thinks that it is not yet turning in its best times. Time trials haven't been any too fast for Haines, but "they're coming," he says.

Fast or not, the lightweights will be favored over MIT tomorrow when the crews hit the Charles at 4:30 p.m. MIT is far behind Harvard in practice time.

Not only the varsity but also two jayvee and two freshman boats will be racing the Engineers tomorrow afternoon.