Anderson Wins Schwinn in Windy Wellesley Bike Race

Theodore I. Anderson '51 led a pack of almost 30 pedallers yesterday to win the Wellesley bike race and first prize of a Schwinn bicycle. A strong headwind slowed down all contenders, and Anderson's time of 40 minutes was well above the record of 28 1/2 minutes.

Vaclav E. Benes '50, winner of last year's event, turned in the fastest time on his racing bike, but he had to be satisfied with second place on his mark of 35 minutes, 20 seconds. The handicapping system, which allowed five minutes for touring bikes and ten minutes extra for balloon-tire entries, give first place to tourer Anderson. E. George cloutier '51 was awarded third place after a meeting of the best mathematical minds of the Outing Club, which sponsored the race.

A field of 30 hopefuls started, and most were clocked in at the finish line, but one fellow took a wrong turn and was last seen heading in the direction of Natick. As only one machine was entered in the balloon-tire class, the lucky-- and unidentified--rider really hit the jackpot. He won a generator set, saddle bag, and carrier, the first three prizes in his group.

Those who survived the wind-swept course received a warm welcome on the shores of Lake Waban. There were girls and lemonade waiting, plenty to eat and drink. After the afternoon sports of hiking, canoeing, and baseball, dates were available for the hardy.