Crews Face MIT, BU This afternoon

By Bayard Hooper

Overconfidence will pose the only problem for the varsity crew as it faces MIT and Boston University in the second race of the season at 5:30 p.m. this afternoon.

A quick look at BU's activities to date might lead one to suspect a hidden powerhouse, inasmuch as it has been on the river since January 6, and already has four wins on the records.

But those four wins were registered over such nonentities in the rowing world as Washington and Lee, Rollins College (where you can major in hunting and fishing), Florida Southern, and Tampa University, which reduces the Terriers to a status something short of imposing.

MIT, the other participant in this all-local race, demonstrated that it was a notch or two below the Crimson by finishing more than three lengths back last Saturday.

It is of such stuff as this that overconfidence is made, and overconfidence can wreak just as much havoc in crew as elsewhere in the realm of sport. Add to this the fact that BU, which has had the whole-hearted backing of the metropolitan press all spring, is definitely out to prove themselves in this race, and you have a potential source of danger.

Bolles-coached crews are not notable for inconsistency, however, and the wily coach has been emphasizing the horrible consequences of a loss to his charges all week. "If we beat BU no one will notice, but if we lose we'll never live it down."

The varsity race will be a test of Bolles' stroking system versus the high-beat, pinwheel method which BU's Jim Nesworthy favors. The Terriers will take the entire race at close to 40, while the Crimson will probably stick at its usual 31 pace except at the finish. This variation in technique will almost certainly mean that BU will take an early lead. The thing to watch will be how long it can hold it.

The varsity race will be the climax of an afternoon-long regatta, which will begin at 2:30 p.m. The weather bureau predicts far better racing conditions than prevailed last week, when the 150's were postponed until after dark.

The jayvee and freshman heavies will probably face stiffer opposition than their varsity counterparts, as MIT game both crews a stiff battle last week. Both Crimson beats have undergone lineup changes since last Saturday: John Merrick will replace the injured Ham Fish in the jayvees, while two new men, Marty Webb and Doug Fletcher will fill the bow and two slots in the freshman boat.

The starting times and lanes for the races follow: Lane 1 is nearest the Cambridge shore.

Combination race, 2:30 p.m.

Tabor Academy second crew, Harvard third 150 varsity, Harvard second freshmen.

Freshman 150-s, 3 p.m.

Lane 1, MIT

Lane 2, Harvard

Lane 3, Tabor

Jayvee 150's, 8:30 p.m.

Lane 1, Harvard

Lane 2, MIT

Varsity 150's 4 p.m.

Lane 1, MIT

Lane 2, Harvard

Freshman Heavies, 4:48 p.m.

Lane 1, MIT

Lane 2, Harvard

Lane 3, BU

Jayvee Heavlee, 5 p.m.

Lane 1, MIT

Lane 2, BU

Lane 3, Harvard

Varsity Heavles, 5:30 p.m.

Lane 1, BU

Lane 2, Harvard

Lane 3, MIT