Foynes' Pinch-Hit Single Brings Nine 7-6 Win Over Lions

Godin Stars on Mound As Crimson, Penn Tie For 2nd Place in EIBL

By Peter B. Taub

Clutch hitting, something which has been conspicuously absent in the Harvard baseball team since the Navy game, brought Stuffy McInnis' crew a 7 to 6 victory over Columbia here Saturday and moved that plucky band into a second place tie with Penn in the EIBL.

With the tying and winning runs on base and one out in the last of the ninth, a virtually unknown utility outfielder named Ed Foynes dropped a single into left field, thus adding a Frank Merriwellian touch to Ira Godin's third success of the season.

The Crimson rallied after playing some of its worst baseball in the first and second innings, when the Lions scored all of their six unearned runs. An error by Cliff Crosby and a hit by Adam Rakowski, who got three of Columbia's five safeties, netted two runs in the first.

Shaky Start

Errors by Harry Cavanaugh and Most Dunn, plus singles by Bill Lockwood and Rakowski (he batted in four Lion runs), got pitcher Bob Swanson four more tallies in the second. After that, the Crimson infield offered Godin some decent support and Godin aided his own cause by striking out 13 batters, driving in Harvard's first three runs, and doing yeoman work afield.

Harvard picked up a run in the second when Godin walked with the bases loaded, and two more in the fourth on Godin's two-run double. The Crimson loaded the bases in the sixth and seventh but did not make a successful bid until the ninth, when the Columbia infield, which up to then had played errorless ball, faltered.

Crosby opened with a single, Rakowski dropped a Coulson pop-up, and Moffie's single loaded the bases again. Herb Neal then sent a double-play grounder to second which Mike De Mayo first bobbled and then threw over the first baseman's head, allowing two runs to score.

Ernie Mannino was intentionally walked, pinch-hitter Steve Howe forced Moffie at the plate, and then McInnis called on Foynes to bat for Godin.