Harvard, Radcliffe Students Sought for Riviera Camp

Students from Harvard and Radcliffe are being sought by the Camp des Alpes-Maritimes, Inc to act as counselors at its Riviera camp for needy French children, Arthur H. King '50, a director of the organization, announced yesterday.

The camp will offer to qualified candidates for its staff, a summer with free board at Menton, a small resort town 12 miles cast of Nice, and the chance to bring some happiness

Qualifications

King expects all applicants to have the following qualifications: (1) that they have an adequate speaking knowledge of French and (2) that they are able to pay their own passage to Europe. Those interested should contact him at Eliot 0-32.

Originated in 1948 by a group of Radcliffe students headed by Ann Sweeney '50, the camp is preparing for its third summer of activity in France. During its first year, the camp functioned at Venice under the auspices of the Unitarian Service Committee.

The organization's officers are Henry S. Williams '49, president, Edwin Olsen II '50, secretary, and Edward A. Taft Jr. '50, treasurer.

Last summer the camp obtained the Ecole du Sacre-Coeur at Menton for its site, a convenient spot because it is near the seashore and inside town. Three Harvard students, Edwin L. Francis '49, David L. Auerbach '52, and Robert F. Lawson '52, served as members of the camp's staff in 1949.

100 Children Last Year

Nearly 100 children, mostly from slum districts in such Industrial towns such as Angers, Bethune, and Grenoble benefited from the sunny Riviera climate last summer.

American food was sent over last winter to give the children three wholesome meals a day. Many of the younger boys and girls had never had such common fruit as bananas before. These children were chosen by the League d'Enseignements from the poorest families in Normandy and Southern France.

Monsieur Debanne, a French school principal, will again be the head counsellor this summer when the camp plans to open July 15 for a period of two months. At this moment the main problem facing King and the other directors in how to raise enough funds to meet the camp's expenses. The committee plans to hold a charity party for this purpose in New York City this spring.