Yardling Lacrosse Team Faces Yale

Powerful Elis Get Nod In New Haven Game

By Hiller B. Zobel

The freshman lacrosse team will end its season tomorrow at New Haven against a Yale team that has lost only one game this season.

Speed and scoring power are the main features of the Eli team. The Blues walloped and beat a strong Exeter squad, 9 to 7. In addition, the Elis whipped Deerfield, a club that trimmed the Crimson.

Captain Ames Thompson and Bill Maple are high scorers for Yale. Maple, at crease, and Thompson in the feeder slot, have scored key goals in every game so far. Art King fills out the attack.

A hard-running set of midfielders give the Elis two-way coverage. Jack Yellot, Whitey Heist, and Ted Torrance are good defensively as well as on the attack. Torrance, especially, is a key man because of his scoring potential. The second midfield of Jim Hansen, Bill Duncan, and Howie Jones is almost on a par with the first.

The Elis have a strong defense, too, Bill Schultz, Ken Bruce, and Dave Eldredge set up a tight shield around goalie Pete Parker.

Yale's only loss was to a strong Princeton squad, 11 to 5. The Elis trounced Dartmouth, 8 to 1; the Yardlings topped the Green, 8 to 4.

The Crimson will take an eight and five record into tomorrow's game. After a fine start, Dick Whitney's ten ran up against an amazing series of injuries that incapacitated at least one key man from every position.

Midfielder Ron Iluebach was out at the beginning of the season with mumps. Turk Broder, steadiest defense man on the club, broke his cheekbone and was shelved for the rest of the year.

Injury Parade

Then the attack lost high goal man Bitsy Grant, and goalie Bob Rosen man out with a bad ankle. Chuck Pyle, hard-running midfielder, also has been incapacitated with ankle trouble. Norm Hatch's sprained wrist was the latest of the injuries.

But despite the handicap, the freshmen have still been able to develop into a cohesive unit, though Whitney has had to work with many players who had never played in anything but intra-mural competition.

Some of these "beginners" improved so much that they won places on the starting team. Buddy Linn's aggressiveness, for example, pulled him up from the third to the first midfield, and Ted Sexton is a fixture on defense. Both had only the barest knowledge of lacrosse before this year.

The Lineup:

Harvard: goal, Rosen man; defense, Martin (c), Sexton, and Huttenbauer; midfield, Linn, Huebsch, and Wood; attack, Hatch, Franklin, and Stewart.