Track Team Bids for K. of C. Titles

Berman Will Compete In Prout Invitation

There's no such animal, as a professional track man, so the world's top runners, jumpers, and weight-tossers retain their amateur standing and gather periodically to show off their skills.

Tomorrow evening's Knights of Columbus Meet at the Garden will be such a convocation. Fifteen Harvard varsity competitors and five freshmen will be on hand to try to make a respectable showing against a fine array of nationwide talent.

Most honored of the Crimson is junior Ronnie Berman, whose performances to date have won him an invitation to enter the Prout 600--probably the outstanding event on the Garden schedule. Berman, a good crowd runner with a fine finishing kick, will have his work cut out for him. The work will be provided by Olympic 400-meter record holder Arthur Wint of Jamaica, indoor and outdoor A.A.U. champions Hugo Maioeeo and George Rhoden, and Morris Curotta, a 400-meter finalist in the Olympics.

Another potential point-getter is Bob Mello, a 13-6 polo vaulter who will have to do considerably better than this to stay in competition with Bob Richards and Marty Korik. Dick Barwise may be able to stay with the tough high-jumping competition headed by Johnny Razzeto of San Diego State.

Crimson entries in a packed mile relay are Ed Grutzner, John Packard, Tom McGrath, and Berman. The freshman re-layers will be Paul Sheats, Phil Meyers, Wayne Lowder, and Joe Ratyna. Dave Gregory, Jim Downey, Dave Cairns, and Joe Rosen will try to keep up with some outstanding two-mile relay competition.

On times, Bill Geick, Poto Curran, and Bob Twitchell in the dash, and freshman Ty Smith, Charlie Durakis, and Twitchell in the hurdles should be outclassed. Smith will also compete in the high jump and Bob Lown will pole vault.