Varsity Eleven Elects Wylie Captain for Rest of Season

First String Safety Man for 2 Years, Formerly Roomed With Drafted Lowenstein

Warren "Red" Wylie '52, of Chelmsford and the Varsity Club, was elected captain of the varsity football team yesterday to succeed Carroll Lowenstein.

Wylie, first string safety man for the past two years and a hard-running, if not speedy wingback, was picked in a post-practice meeting by letter-holders of this season's squad. The team was given the go-ahead to elect a new captain early this week by the Athletic Association, with the advice of the Faculty Committee on Athletic Sports.

When Lowenstein was inducted into the Army a week ago today, it was uncertain whether a new captain would be chosen, or whether temporary game captains would be named for the remainder of the season. Coach Lloyd Jordan, however, favored a new captain, "to give the boys the necessary leadership."

Close Friend of Cal

Wylie captained the Chelmsford High School team in 1945 and, in the same year, was made captain of the Greater Lowell all-star team. At Harvard he and Lowenstein lived together in the Varsity Club, and were very close friends.

"I was quite surprised and very pleased to receive the honor," Wylie said last night. "I'll certainly do my best. It would be great if Carroll were back here --be could help us a lot. I'm going to try to carry on the way he would have."