School of Ed. Plans Kindergarten Survey

The School of Education will conduct a study of 400 children in seven Newton kindergartens starting November 1, a research associate disclosed yesterday. U.S. Department of Health funds amounting to $45,000 will finance the year-long project.

This "grand-scale investigation" under the direction of Robert S. Sears, professor of Education, will culminate two years of small-scale pilot work here. It will undoubtedly lead to important findings for the educational and psychological fields about the development of young children's personalities, according to research associate Harry Levin.

The study is aimed at both the child and the mother. An assistant will usher the child into an observatory room equipped with doll house and tape recorder. The child will be encouraged to tell a story about the house. Research experts will then analyze the significance of the story with regard to the child's personality. In addition, trained interviewers will question the mother about her relationship with the child.

The study seeks to accomplish three things. First, it will attempt to find how and when a child begins imitating adult ways. Second, how a child begins acting in characteristically masculinely or femininely acceptable ways. Third, the study will be a compilation of mothers experiences in bringing up their children.

The Department of Education will release its finding to mothers, educators, and psychologists when the study ends. Child-rearers can then draw their own conclusions as to whether practices like spanking or permissiveness hurt or help the youngster.