Senator Douglas Named As '52 Godkin Lecturer

Lectures Scheduled for January States Senator's Washington Office, Will Discuss Ethics

Senator Paul H. Douglas (D-III.) will be the next Godkin Lecturer. His Washington office announced yesterday that Douglas will come to Cambridge sometime in January, although the exact date for the lectures has not been set.

Douglas Anderson, Douglas' Illinols representative, told the CRIMSON last night that the lectures will be based on "ethics among government officials. He said that the lectures themselves have not been completed yet.

Douglas will stop his Senate work, Anderson said, for the period of the lectures. The Senator will probably be in Cambridge for five days; Anderson believes that little will be happening on Capitol Hill during that time.

Charles R. Cherington '35, Acting Dean of the School of Public Administration would not comment on the Douglas announcement.

The Lectureship was established in 1902 by friends of Edwin L. Godkin, editor of the Nation and the New York Evening Post. It gave to the University a fund of $10,000 for lectures on "The Essentials of Free Government and the Duties of the Citizen, or upon some part of that subject."

Douglas, formerly a professor of Economics at the University of Chicago was a member of a Congressional committee that investigated ethics in the government. Earlier this year, he called two Truman appointees for Federal judgeships "personally obnoxious" and led a successful Senate battle to block their appointment.

Originally, Puerto Rican Governor Luis Munos Marin was scheduled to lectures but was forced to remain in Puerto Rico because of a special session of the legislature. At the time, Dean Mason of the Graduate School of Public Administration said that the next lecturer would be announced in the fall.

Senator Ralph Flanders (R-Ver.) and Lucius B. Clay, former High Commissioner of Germany, were the two preceding lecturers.