Masters Not Sure When Discussion On Rules to Come

Housemsaters weren't sure last night whether or not they would discuss proposed changes in parietal rules at their meeting Wednesday.

A letter from the president of the Student Council and the chairmen of six House Committees reached the Masters Thursday. It asked that the Masters extend room privileges to 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and on occasions which each Master could choose at his discretion.

Ronald M. Ferry '12, Master of Winthrop, said last night that the Wednesday meeting was called by Provost Buck a "long time ago." It is understood that this meeting's prime purpose will be to set up criteria for House Deans. A proposal to decentralize the Dean's Office and replace it with a Dean in each House was contained in the Bender Report on Advising.

Whether or not time will be left to discuss the parietal rule matter remains to be seen, Ferry said.

Elliott Perkins '23, Master of Lowell, said he would approach the question of relaxing parietal rules with an open mind. He explained that last year the Masters feared the draft would absorb upperclassmen from the Houses, that freshmen would be admitted in their places, and that under such circumstances it would be unwise to loosen parietal restrictions.

But, he admitted, this fear no longer exists and he was ready to re-examine the issue.

Gordon M. Fair, Master of Dunster House, reported that the question of liberalizing the rules is under "consideration by the Housemasters," but he did not know when it would officially be discussed.

Leigh Hoadley, Master of Leverett House, and John H. Finley '25, Master of Eliot House, refused to make any comment.