Three Cliffe Off-Campus Dorms Will Shut Down

Holmes Replaces Them in Fall; 20 Walker, Peach, and Henry To Close Following Agitation

By Margaret E. Fechheimer

Twenty Walker Street and two other Annex off-campus houses will be shut down immediately upon completion of Holmes Hall, it was learned yesterday. Radcliffe officials expect the four-story brick structure will be ready for occupancy next September.

The two other dorms to be closed, Peach and Henry Houses, together with Twenty Walker Street now accommodate a total of 57 students. The size of Holmes will make it possible to absorb these girls in the quadrangle and still house eight percent more resident students in the Quadrangle, upping the on-campus total to 80 percent of the resident enrollment.

Construction of Holmes is the next to last step in the Annex Administration's long-range plan which will eventually enable all resident "Cliffedwellers to live in campus dormitories. The final step, a third wing for Moors Hall, will begin as soon after Holmes is completed as possible.

Agitation to close the woodes off-campus houses has been rising in recent years, coming to a climax earlier this fall when prowlers frightened several girls at 20 Walker Street.

In his annual report to the trustees last year. President Jordan lamented the use of the two "extremely uncomfortable frame structures," promising to alleviate the bad situation as soon as he could.

Just what will happen to the three Houses is not yet certain. Plans had been made to use one of them as a head-quarters for Annex help, but whether or not this intention will be fulfilled is still unknown.