Christmas: The Crimson Suggests . . .

Styled in silver, this sterling cigarette holder is a replica of an early 18th Century Colonial Ale tankard. It stands 2 3/4 inches high and was fashioned in detail by one of Boston's oldest silversmits, GEBELEIN, at 79 Chestnut St.

Among its objects are works of Paul Revere and other Boston specialists. The tankard pictured above is priced at $12.50.

The above mug is special. It comes from Germany and plays music when picked up. Comes in a variety of well-known drinking songs. It's a new twist for mug collectors and drinkers alike and is the sort of thing you can give to a roommate or friend who has all the ordinary gadgets.

The BOSTON MUSIC COMPANY at 116 Boylston Street in town has a complete line of these musical mugs, starting at $5.95, and running to $11.95 for the one pictured here.

"Tally-ho," "Fore," and "Skol," are the cries for this set of sporty highball stirrers. Match the stick to the man, no matter what his drink. The stirrers are finished in dull gold, and come in a case that makes them a good decoration for a bar or buffet even when not in use. Each has a different sports motif and makes an unusual companion to a long drink.

The set, complete with case, is on sale at J. AUGUST in the Square, $7.00.

PERUZZI JEWEL SHOP specializes in fine silver work and made-to-order jewelry. Everything is made right in the shop at 252 Boylston Street in Boston. The store is upstairs, across from the Public Gardens.

This Zodiac pin is one of a series. It costs $7.20, including tax. Earrings to match sell for $6.00, and the shop also features matching necklaces, as well as tie pins, cuff links, and bracelets. Every piece is sterling silver, fashioned by Florentine artists.

Phone fumble is enough to make man curse the machine age. There is never a pad or pencil near the phone when that important call is coming through.

"Tele-pad" is the name of this item which is set in a fine leather tray, hand-tooled in 25 carat gold holds. It comes in wine, red, or brown at SHREVE'S in Boston for $5.00. The attached pencil is automatic and refill pads can be obtained.

Brothers in bronze, this matching set of coasters, cigarette holder, and silent butler, gleams with a rich, dull, lustre that would add dignity to any room it graced. Its stately appearance lends itself well to a den, living or dining room, and gives a note of correct decor to types of settings.

All three are sold at the COOP in Harvard Square. The coasters come at $7.95 for a set of eight, the cigarette holder costs $9.95, and the silent butler, $7.95. The set makes an impressive and beautiful gift.

"Tinkle, tinkle, little key, how I wonder where you be." Our nomination for the novelty of the year is this key chain with a miniature cow bell at the end which rings when you drop your keys. The key ring locks, is plated with 14 carat gold, and is sold exclusively at POLLY COLE'S, 23 Church Street, for $3.60 including tax.

Perfection in pure, beaten pewter is one of the hallmarks of EVANS INTERNATIONAL, at 61 Church. The flask and mug above provide for the drinking man at home and away. Either can be engraved or fitted with the Harvard seal. The flask is priced at $4.50, and the mug at $6.50.

Christmas has a way of sneaking up and catching you with your gifts down. Classes end on the 22nd of December, a Saturday, you usually get home the next day, Sunday, and suddenly realize that Monday is the last shopping day till.

The Crimson has selected several unusual, attractive gifts that would enhance the base of any evergreen. These gifts are available at local and Boston stores. In selecting them, the editors have tried to keep in mind gifts suitable for any Harvard man to give to anyone a Harvard man might know.

Most of the gifts are small to provide for easy carrying in the corner of your suitcase. Prices are wide in range providing tasteful suggestions to fit any wallet and money clip.

The stores which feature these items will gift wrap them, and in many cases, mail them for you. These are only a few of the gifts the editors have chosen. Others will appear in two subsequent gift pages before vacation begins for those who still forgot to pick up a little something for Aunt Clara.

One of the age-old mysteries to man is how a woman ever finds anything in her purse. Usually she doesn't. This isn't a point of pride among the fairer sex, but a lack of something better. Now something better is here, and BIGELOW KENNARD at 384 Boylston Street has it. It is a small kit that keeps lipstick, cologne, and other feminine vanities together and apart from the rest of sacred contents of her bag. The small handsome kit can be carried separately as well. Price, $3.95.

It may be inconvenient to move the Alps into someone's office, but this Alpine calendar provides a different scene from these picturesque mountains at every flick of the page. The scenes, in full color, portray the icy, aloof, majesty of the range with sharp clarity.

SCHOENHOF'S is featuring the calendar at $1.50, along with other Swiss imported calendars at their 1280 Massachusetts Avenue store. All are strongly mounted to make a handsome desktop ornament.

Your favorite hostess will invite you to all her future parties if you give her this unique, windproof ash tray. The swept-up sides and deep dish keep the breezes out and the ashes in.

This glassware is sold only at SHREVE, CRUMP, and LOW'S at Boylston and Arlington Streets in Boston. It goes for $6.00. Shreve's invites you to come in to browse among their different items for ideas on that little gift that must be just right.

Good cocktails are an art apart. For good cocktails, one needs good cocktail shakers. This one is not only highly efficient, but attractive as well. The design is called "Cambridge Cut." It was shown at the Institute of Contemporary Arts. The sizes, from 8 ounce to 32 ounce, cost from $6.75 to $11.75 at, RAFFI at 12 Brattle Street.

The set of eight cocktail napkins comes in varying colors--melody, hunter's green, chartruese, and ivory--and sells for $12.75.

Here is as versatile a gadget as we've seen since the invention of the flashlight. Officially termed by the BICYCLE EXCHANGE at 3 Bow Street, a Berec Handlamp and Cyclechamp. It hooks on to almost anything. It clips to a belt, clamps on a bike handle, suspends from any bar, sits on the ground, and can even be carried in the hand. It takes two regular flashlight batteries, and sells for $1.89.

This is a selective gift for a selective camera fiend. Imported from Germany exclusively by the CRIMSON CAMERA EXCHANGE, at 1300 Massachusetts Avenue, this collapsible tripod grows from 8 1/4 inches high when folded to 45 inches when the seven sections are fully extended. It sells for $8.95, is light weight and easy to carry.

Dahl is as much a part of Boston as codfish and baked beans. For years his cartoons in the Herald on every view of the local scene have delighted and angered proper and improper Bostonians. The HARVARD BOOK STORE, 1248 Massachusetts Avenue, is selling this $2.50 book at a Season Special price of $1.25.

Tie her down. Make her show her colors. Give her this soft, sweeping scarf as a bonus for waiting for you till you got home (or at least for being there). The COOP has come up with another fine gift for the female in your life. Pictures of Harvard landmarks are done in black and white, while the words to "With Crimson in triumph flashing" parade across a crimson and white background. An excellent gift for mother, too.

This statuette is a replica of the Mannekan Fountain which was erected in 1648 and was the work of Duquesnvy, an Italian sculptor. It was paid for by a rich citizen of Brussels, Belgium, in honor of the finding of the citizen's small son who was lost for a period of five days. The youngster was found at the corner of the Rue de L'Etuve and so the statuette was erected on the spot and in the position in which he was found. The Little Squirt on sale at J. AUGUST in the Square. Price, $4.00.

There is always a new quirk of interior decorating in the STUDIO SHOP at 557 Boylston Street in Boston. Newest are the highball glasses and ashtray above embellished with cartoons by Steig, Cobean, and Taylor.

The ashtrays come in assorted hues and cartoons. They are priced at $3.75 apiece, while a set of Boston's eight funniest glasses are yours for $6.50.

EVANS INTERNATIONAL carries a large stock of beer steins from Germany.

The Evans selection ranges from 1/4 liter to 4 liters. Antique blue and cream ceramic mugs are featured in all the varied shapes German artists loved to create. Their line also includes carefully hand-painted mugs.

The ceramic mugs run from $2.00 to $10.00, depending on the capacity of the receivers stomach and of the givers purse.