Anticipated Enrollment Drop Causes Economies in Faculty Budget Plans

Cutbacks Involve Tutors and Secretaries; Reynolds Considers Closing Some Houses

By Rudolph Kass

Cutbacks in the size of secretarial and lower echelon faculty personnel will be necessary to enable the College and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences to soften revenue losses from an anticipated drop in student enrollment, Provost Buck announced yesterday.

Such reductions, based on a one third shrinkage in the student body by 1953, will not involve firing instructors, tutors, and secretaries the Provost emphasized. They will be achieved instead by not replacing personnel which normally leaves the University each year to seek professional advancement and which will no longer be needed as student enrollment decreases.

At present, the Provost explained, the University guesses that enrollment in the College will have shrunk from about 4,500 to 2,900 by 1953 and in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences from 1,700 to 1,300 by 1952. Such a drop would cost the University $1,100,000 in tuition fees.

Permanent Faculty Unaffected

The cutbacks Buck has planned in personnel and other miscellaneous expenses, such as not immediately necessary new equipment, would reduce this deficit to $600,000 or $700,000 per year, a loss which the University might carry for a few years by drawing on its reserve funds.

Neither the size nor the customary appointments to the permanent faculty will be changed in the least by the new budget, Buck said. Annually the Faculty of Arts and Sciences supports some $1,200,000 worth of permanent appointees. It will continue to make seven or eight new permanent appointments each year and will appoint the normal number of assistant professors.

Buck noted that the new budget, contrary to the measures of some colleges, will adjust to new sizes in the student body without injuring in the least the essence of the educational system, the permanent faculty.

This planning will effect certain service departments of the University. Edward Reynolds '15, Administrative Vice-President, said yesterday that he "contemplates closing some of the dormitories or possibly separable sections of the houses."

Buck stated last month that he planned no rise in tuition.