Romance Languages

GUIDE TO FIELDS OF CONCENTRATION

A prospective concentrator in Romance Languages and Literatures can still plan to spend his junior year in study abroad, according to Department head Charles S. Singleton.

Subject to changing conditions, the department is going ahead "as usual."

Concentrators must take six courses, four in Psychology and two in related fields. It is advisable to take a course in statistics as early as possible.

All concentrators must take two general examinations at the end of the senior year. Honors candidates must also write a thesis, based at least partly on original work, and take an oral test based on the thesis.

processing applications of those who plan to take the junior year abroad with College credit.

But for concentrators who do not contemplate European junkets, the department still has plenty to offer. For one thing, the rules concerning required courses are liberal: of the six full courses, two may be in related fields.

Honors requirements are a bit stiffer, and a general final examination is required. On the credit side is the fact that the honors essay is limited to 10,000 words in length.

More in the department's favor is its solid core of fine teachers. Singleton and Arnolofo Ferruolo give almost all the courses. Ferruolo covers the modern period, while Singleton, a fine lecturer, gives the Rennaisance and Dante courses.

French Draws Majors

Most of the concentrators in the field major in French and most of these take French 20, a tough, packed general view of France's literature from the Song of Roland on. This is the course that Andre Morize organized so well, although the amount of material covered is staggering.

However, Morize no longer teaches the course, though the framework will probably remain much the same. Armand Hoog from the University of Strasbourg will take over.

Other choice offerings are three half courses in the Encyclopaedists and the moralists by Herbert Dieckmann, a well-constructed course in Literature of the Twentieth Century, with Leroy C. Breunig. Breunig also rated departmental plaudits for his fine job with French 2, a history course.

Spanish concentrators usually start off with Spanish 10, the Hispanic equivalent of French 20, competently taught by Juan A. L. Marichal.

Prospective honors concentrators--who have to show better than reading knowledge of a second language--will be pleased by the solid state of the basic courses. John M. J. Wolpe (French) and James E. Duffy (Spanish) ranked especially high.