Educators Form New Draft Plans, Get Ike Approval

President Conant, chairman of the Educational Policies Commission of the National Education Association, and Arthur S. Adams, president of the American Council of Education, announced three alternative methods of deferring college students from compulsory military service.

They said that General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower had approved the plans.

In presenting the declaration on military manpower, the two lashed out at the present system of deferment by local draft boards. Tabbing the system as destructive to campus morale, they said it left uncertainties in the students' minds and pointed out that if mobilisation rates continued, there would be very few deferments.

Both emphasized that the three proposals were completely divorced of Universal Military Training, and were only for a period of partial mobilization.

The three plans are: 1. Induction at 13 or 18 1/2, except in cases where a specialized manpower board determines, from time to time, that service by individuals an be postponed while they are effectively pursuing education or specialized training. This applies to ROTC units.

2. Military service to begin when education termintes, provided that an administrative agency shall have authority to determine the limits of educational qualifications, duration of education, and area of education, from time to time.

3. Induction, at 18 or 12 1/2, unless the individual is enrolled in an expanded system of ROTC programs providing the flow of trained personnel needed by the armed forces.

The report emphasized that the problets of solving the manpower situation must be faced immediately. It added that all acceleration plans must be long range