Morningside Heights Embroiled in Explosive Presidential Campaign

Morningside Heights, home of General Dwight D. Eisenhower, is currently the battleground for a vigorously-contested political campaign.

Add up the facts that the Republican nominee for President is also President of Columbia University; that student political support at the College is pretty evenly divided; that the daily Columbia Spectator has broken precedent and supported a candidate, Democratic nominee Adlai Stevenson, amid a storm of protest from backers on both sides; and that a large faculty group has organized in support of Stevenson and begun an outspoken attack on the General, and you have a first-rate election year fight.

This last week was highlighted by several eruptions on the Columbia political scene. First, the Spectator violated a 75-year precedent and put its editorial nose into national politics for the first time, supporting the candidacy of Stevenson.

But Speciator's policy was loudly protested. Many felt that a newspaper which is financially supported by compulsory student contributions, as Spectator is, should assume a non-partisan position innational politics. Or, on the other hand, it should devote an equal amount of editorial space to each candidate. Some members of the Eisenhower group claimed that Spectator was not even doing this in its straight news coverage.

By a vote of five to one, the weekly Barnard College Bulletin came out in favor of Stevenson; the dissenter, however was given space in the Bulletin's editorial columns to express her views. Some students said Spectator should have made a similar move, but the editors claim their vote was unanimous, eight to zero.

Meanwhile, the faculty began organizing a "Volunteers for Stevenson" group. By Wednesday, a committee of more than 100 faculty members, led by history professor Allan Nevins, had been organized. The scholars are considering running a full-page advertisement in the New York Times announcing their endorsement of the Illinois Governor and attacking that paper for its editorial stand.

Among the members of the faculty committee are Justus Buchler, Chairman of the Contemporary Civilization Department. Richard Hofstadier, and philosophy professor Irwin Edman. Nevins said of Stevenson's campaign. "Not since the days of Woodrow Wilson has a candidate run a campaign on such a high level." He added that he expects a "really great presidency."

One member of the group suggested that a sub-title, "Keep Ike for Columbia, or don't let them take him away," be adopted.

To date, no organized movement in support of General Eisenhower has been originated by the faculty. However, the Columbia Alumni for Eisenhower is a fairly powerful group.

Spectator, in its editorial, claims that Eisenhower's "great crusade, passing through the stage of the great compromise, must now be called the great disenchantment."

A letter from a Stevenson backer, printed in the Spectator, regrets this stand as "a brave one, but . . . I do not think . . . a fair one."

Eisenhower, as President of Columbia University, has drawn considerable criticism from members of the faculty and from the daily student newspaper. Many claimed his long absences were proving detrimental to the University, and that his education was insufficient to merit his guiding such an institution.

However, as GOP nominee for President of the United States, the General has attracted a considerable amount of support in the College. The Columbia and Barnard Republican Clubs presently claim a membership of over 700. Since they set up "Volunteers for lke" booths several days ago, they claim to have gathered at least 800 additional signatures.

"Volunteers for Stevenson," on the other hand, reports a total of 600 students in its ranks. This group is a combination of the Columbia Chapter of the Students for Democratic Action, with some splinter organizations.