Young Democrats Split; Currey Leads Mavericks

Club Claims Support By Governor Dever

By Erik Amfitheatrof

The "Currey faction" of the Young Democrats walked out of the H.Y.D. meeting last night to form a rump club. James C. Currey '52, 1L, unofficial spokesman for the group, claimed he had secured the support of Governor Paul A Dever for himself in a telephone conversation yesterday afternoon.

In their elections the rump club acclaimed Currey treasurer, a position he had held in the H.Y.D. By this action they absorbed all Young Democratic funds, including a $100 check to cover the rally staged last Friday night.

Currey said he would seek recognition of his group as the legitimate Young Democratic Club.

Walted Outside

Currey's 100-odd supporters stood out-side the meeting in Winthrop Junior Common Room for almost two hours last night while University police kept order. H.Y.D. president Stanley E. Tobin '53 meanwhile led the club in accusing Currey of illegally staging the Friday rally with club funds.

Finally Currey marched out to join his supporters, charging that Tobin had "packed" the meeting against him. Tobin had given orders to admit only men whose names appeared on a list, presumably of members who had paid their dues. Only six of the 55 people present supported Currey in the voting.

After the rump meeting Currey told the CRIMSON he had spoken by phone to Governor Dever yesterday afternoon, and that the Governor had said he'd do whatever was necessary to help him. Currey said that when he had mentioned Tobin's name, Dever had replied. "Who the hell is Stanley Tobin?"

Lost First Vote

Currey and his five supporters lost the first vote--that only men on the membership list be allowed to attend the meeting. Currey charged after the vote that he also had a record of members who had paid their dues. "There are about 30 outside," he said.

Tobin called for a discussion of the Friday night rally. After he admitted spending $63 for the rally without Tobin's authorization, Currey stepped forward with a $100 check in his hand. Someone called for the check. "If the assembled throng outside be let in," he replied. "The assembled throng outside," Tobin countered, "will not be let in."

Currey presented a treasurer's report along with the check, claiming "the money for the rally has been replaced in the treasury." But he refused three times to submit the report because his supporters were not admitted.

The H.Y.D. members then voted to reject the treasurer's report, which had never been submitted, and to call on Currey to present a report and to return all funds due the club within three days. The alternative will be notification to University Hall and possible legal action, they said in resolution.

Invites Dever

After the meeting Tobin said he has invited Governor Dever to speak to the Young Democrats Friday but indicated he might ask Dever to cancel the speech. In the meeting, the members had voted to go ahead with plans for the speech.

In the rump session, the Currey forces elected Henry S. Leigler '55 as president. Thomas D. Edwards '53 vice-president, and William R. Wister, Jr. '55 secretary. They retained Currey as treasurer.

Likewise the H.Y.D. acclaimed Douglas S. Hobbs '55 as vice-president, replacing the dissident George E. Baum '55 and Joseph C. Sweeney '54 as treasurer. Tobin and secretary Theodore L. Kesselman '54 continue as president and secretary.

In a closing move the Young Democrats voted also to amend the constitution so that it will specify that no member can vote at meetings who has not paid his dues ten days in advance.