Harriers Win First Big 3 Title Since 1942

By Horward A. Corwin

Crimson harriers copped their first Big Three cross country championship in ten years when they upset Yale and Princeton yesterday afternoon at Franklin Field.

The Yardlings also won their meet, as Captain Al Wills remained undefeated.

In the official varsity dual meet scoring, Harvard defeated Yale 24 to 32, and Princeton 22 to 42. In the unofficial reckoning, which gave the Crimson the Main Trophy, it was Harvard 30, Yale 39, and Princeton 61.

According to Captain Emil San Soucie, the Crimson strategy paid off as planned. John Bidwell, Al Blaylock, and Pete Rich went out fast and broke up the usual Yale scoring block by tiring the Eli's in the early part of the 4.2 mile race. The clincher came as the Crimson's Marsh Childs and Frank Nahigian came strong in the last mile and a half to pass the third, fourth, and fifth Yale scorers.

Princeton's Bill Maxwell took over the lead about half-way and went on to win in 22:03, and Yale's Mike Stanley took the second place in 22:20.

But the Crimson had it from there. Hubie Maguire, Hal Gerry, Emil San Soucie, Childs, and Nahigian took third, fourth, sixth, seventh and tenth places to dominate the middle sciring bracket and with it the meet.

The Yardlings' victory wrapped up the day successfully. In a neck and neck duel by two undefeated freshman captains, Tempe Lowrey of Princeton and Al Wills of Harvard, Wills came out a nose ahead to win. They both had identical times of of 14:48 over the shortened 2.8 mile course.

To round out the scoring for the Crimson, Don French, Jerry Whatmough, Ken Wilson, and Jim Gerry finished third, fifth, ninth and tenth respectively. Scoring gave Harvard 22, Yale 35, and Harvard 21, Princeton 40.