Brownell's Eight Nips Two Boats In Fall Finale

Sparked by veterans John Atherton and Captain Phil DuBois, a competition eight stroked by Larry Brownell nipped two other boats at the finish of yesterday's 3/4 mile fall race. Their winning time was 3:57.

Close behind Brownell's crew came an eight stroked by Tom Adams and one stroked by Tim Wheeler. Their times were 3:58 and 3:58.5. Kim Whiting stroked the fourth boat, which finished at 4:01.

Good, Considering . . .

Commenting on the race, which was held under almost ideal conditions, varsity crew coach Harvey Love said, "The times were quite good, considering the race was held in the fall and the boys haven't rowed together for very long."

On Brownell's crew, Bill Newlan rowed bow; 2, Charlie Higginson; 3, Allen Chandler; 4, Bob Monks; 5, Pete Simonds; 6, Phil DuBois; 7, John Atherton, Brownell at stroke. Allen Lefkowitz was cox.

The four strokes picked their crews in rotation, so that none of the boats represents a varsity. The race marked the end of the fall season on the river, and after a week's layoff for most crewmen, they will take to the indoor practice tank.