Cambridge Chiefs Weigh Decision in 'Birth' Exhibition

Cambridge City Manger John J. Curry '19 will decide Monday whether to permit "Birth of a Nation" to be shown at the University.

Although the president of the Boston NAACP said he "would not protest" the HLU-HSMR showing of the controversial film, the City of Cambridge postponed decision on granting a license to the groups because "two or three" calls of protest had come into City Hall. John Harrington, head of the licensing bureau, said yesterday, "the only thing the city is worried about is an outbreak of violence, and if the police can be satisfied none will occur, the license will be granted." It was Harrington who held up the Boston Film Society's permit to show the film last week.

Liberal Union film series director Carl A. Wagner '53 said he would confer with Curry and Harrington Monday morning about the license. Wagner and he would ask HSMR president Max Bond, Jr. '55 to accompany him. Bond's group, an NAACP affiliate, will use it's share of the film's profits for its Negro Scholarship Fund.

Lionel Lindsay, Boston NAACP president, said his group would "go along with the Harvard NAACP chapter on the showing of the film." Lindsay said he had agreed to a showing of "Birth of a Nation" to Boston University students last year, after the audience had been given pamphlets explaining the propaganda aspects of the production.