Liquor Sale to Minors To Be Tightened Up

Police Will Intensify Check-Up Of Package Stores Following License Board Investigation

Cambridge Chief of Police Patrick F. Ready said last night that the local force would soon begin a crackdown on the sale of bottled liquor to minors.

He stressed the fact that he already had a squad of men checking in this situation, but said that they would intensify their activity in the near future. "I will not sltidly by and see liquor sold to kids," be stated.

The crackdown is the result of some recent reports on the increase of teen-age drinking in the Boston area. These conditions were brought to light in a hearing before the Boston Licensing Board last week.

"Too many teen-age boys and girls are running around in Boston, taking advantage of good decent liquor dealers," said the defense counsel for a Roxbury package store where a Brandeis University Freshman had allegedly bought eight quarts of beer.

Laxity of Dealers

Captain Ready last night intimated that the sale of liquor was due more, perhaps, to the laxity of some of the package store dealers than to the cunning of the teenagers.

Miss Mary E. Driscoll, the chairman of the Boston board, commented last week that the situation was not confined to the Boston area. She reported that in another locality three high school students had recently come to school drunk.

"Thank goodness it wasn't in this city," she declared. "If it had been there would have been trouble."

Contacted at his home last night, John Quinn, who along with Captain Ready is a member of the licensing board, said he did not think the situation was as had as reported.