WHALER SPORTS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

With reference to Malcolm D. Rivkin's article on the front page of Tuesday's CRIMSON, I fail to see much connection between the report of a recent capture of a white whale and a symbolic interpretation of "Moby Dick." Herman Melville created his work of fiction using as a basis for his story a vast wealth of factual and mythical information surrounding the whaling industry. One of these myths was about the terrible fierceness of white sperm whales. The whiteness was ascribed to old age, not to an albino condition as far as I know. If I remember correctly there is no specific mention of the fact in "Moby Dick" that the white terror of the deep was an albino whale. There is a record of an all white whale being taken by a New Bedford whaler in 1902.

I am all in agreement with Nabokov for keeping facts and fiction separate. However, it is sometimes interesting to know the factual basis for fiction. An excellent work which gives the sources of Melville's works was published by Columbia University Press in 1939. I believe the title is "Melville in the South Seas." It may be had at Lamont Library. D. H. Morris 3rd '51 (4c)