Penn Frats Want New Jewish Quota

A quota limiting the number of Jewish students at the University of Pennsylvania was asked of the Office of Admissions by a group of students representing Penn fraternities in a surprise move late last month. An Penn is now out on vacation, no official reaction could be obtained last night by the CRIMSON.

According to The Daily Pennsylvanian. "The agitation over the Christian-Jewish ratios in recent classes grew out of the precarious positions of several Christian houses (fraternities) following the recent rushing season."

No Racial or Religius Quota

Although the DP did not specify what specific changes the group demanded, it did write, "A three-man delegation was appointed to consult with the Office of Admissions on present University policy." This sentence was followed immediately by a statment from William H. DuBarry; Penn's acting president, that the University has never had a racial or religious quota and does not intend to change its policy.

The demand for a quota followed a secret meeting of unofficial representatives from 20 Christian fraternities. "According to the official minutes of the meeting, public relations were discussed and suggestions included personal interviews for admissions, various projects undertaken by alumni and fraternities to alleviate the problem, as well as hometown University-sponsored publicity departments to spread the name of Penn to a greater number of college prospectives," claimed the Pennsylvanian.

It was also decided to invite representatives of the Admissions Office and representatives from Jewish fraternities to the group's second meeting.