Ward Pitches Yardlings To 4-2 Opening Victory

By David L. Halberstam

Andy Ward got the freshman baseball team off to an auspicious debut yesterday afternoon at Soldier Field as he struck out 16 and just missed a no-hitter to lead the Yardling to a 4 to 2 win over a hapless Boston Teachers College nine.

Ward, a tall bespectacled right hander, had a no-hitter going in the top of the ninth inning, and seemed to be getting stronger, having struck out the side in the eight frame. The cold weather and lack of practice, however, took their toll as Bob Howlett hit a solid single to left field. A walk, an infield out, and a single to right followed, to give the Teachers their runs.

Coach Adolph Samborski's team got off to an early 2 to 0 lead in the second inning. Third baseman Joe Conzelman opened with a single, left fielder Hank Pildner walked, and shortshop Paul Murphy dragged a safe bunt to load the basis. George Clark flied to right, scoring Conzelman, and on the subsequent cut-off. Murphy was tagged out at second and Pildner scored.

In the third, second baseman Frank Nahigian walked and stole second. He scored when centerfielder Bill Chauncey singled to left, and Teachers' catcher Howlett dropped the ball for an error.

The Crimson completed its scoring in the bottom of the seventh when Nahigian walked. Centerfielder Ted Cooney forced him at second. Cooney went to second on catcher George MacDonald's single, and completed the Yardling's scoring when the visiting second baseman bobbled Chauncey's grounder.

Ward pitched himself out of a tough spot in the sixth inning when he struck out Halloran with the bases loaded.