Two-Month Auto Accident Total at Tricky Mem Drive Curve Hits Seven; One Dead

Tuesday night's accident at the intersection of Plympton Street and Memorial Drive brought the total number of automobile smack-ups in this area to seven within the last two months.

Several persons have been seriously injured and one has died as a result of the mishaps at the Leverett and Dunster House curve.

The two gunmen who were fleeing from the police Tuesday night in an 85-mile-an-hour chase suffered minor fractures when they smashed up near Plympton Street. Sigtry Ofalsson, the fisherman who fell asleep at the wheel and cracked into a tree on the same spot, died last weekend in the Cambridge City Hospital.

Since February 24 there have been four accidents at the Plympton intersection, two at the intersection of DeWolfe Street and Memorial Drive, and one at Flagg Street. During the period from February 24 to March 2 alone, three accidents occurred in the area, and since the beginning of April, there have been four more.

During the summer a traffic light, to be operated by pedestrians, was installed at DeWolfe Street and Memorial Drive.