Hockey Rink Drive Set Unofficially After Corporation's Ruling Monday

A campaign to raise funds for the construction of a hockey rink here will probably continue and be expanded, George W. Chase '53 said yesterday, despite the fact that the Corporation Monday refused to give the drive its official backing.

According to Chase, who met yesterday with a group of three undergraduates and several graduates, including Alexander H. Bright '19, Athletic Director Thomas D. Bolles, and James R. Reynolds, assistant to the President, the group feels that there is a very good chance that the drive will go on.

Chase indicated that a more definite effort would be made to solicit funds from alumni than has been made previously and that he would probably head an unofficial undergraduate committee. A drive opened in the spring of 1950 has reached only a $21,000 total so far, with the January, 1951 gift of $20,000 by Bright providing the lion's share.

Bright, contacted last night, indicated he thought the Corporation's Monday ruling did not forbid a drive, providing the University itself did not have to give official authorization.