University Announces '51-52 Prize Winners

Prize awards for the academic year 1951-52 were announced yesterday by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Six won prizes in the field of History and Literature. Walter Kaiser '54 won the Barrett Wendell Prize of $25 as the sophomore making the most notable progress in the field this year. The History and Literature Prize of $50 was shared by Charles P. MacVeagh '53 and Sylvan R. Weiner '53 as the most promising juniors concentrating in the field.

The three Oliver-Dabney prizes for Radcliffe went to Jane Johnson '52, Anna Kris '53, and Janice Farrar '54, carrying a stipend of $75 and two of $25 respectively. The prizes in order, were for an honors essay of high distinction, the most promising junior, and the sophomore showing most improvement.

Bowdoin Prizes

John B. Rehm '52 won both $100 undergraduate Bowdoin prizes in the Classics field for his translations into Latin and Attic Greek. Milman G. Parry 2G won $200 for a Greek essay, while Cecil B. Pascal 2G received Honorable Mention. Kenneth J. Reckford '54 won the John Osborne Sargent prize of $200, while Roland F. Perkins '52 won a $100 prize for excellence in Latin, to complete awards in the Classics field.

The James Gordon Bennet and Philo Sherman Bennet essay prizes went to Donald F. Sandberg '52 and Robert M. Guttman '52, respectively. Their essays were entitled. "The Cooperative Extension Service and Democracy" and "The Selection of Leaders in the Conservative Party."

Kirke L. Mechem 1G won the Francis Boott prize of $100 for the best composition in concerted vocal music.